Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reach the Beach 2011

This year my goals have to do with pushing myself beyond my limits, staying physically fit and helping others.  The goal I'm going to talk about today accomplishes all three!  I have decided to be a rider in the American Lung Association's event Reach the Beach.  Riders can start in a variety of locations (28,55,80, or 100 miles) and bike ride down to the beach. 


Here are some facts from the website about lung disease...
"Lung disease - including asthma, emphysema and lung cancer - is the third leading cause of death in America. Over the last decade, the death rate from lung disease has been growing faster than the death rate from almost any other killer."

"Since 1915, the American Lung Association in Oregon has been fighting lung disease through education, community service, advocacy, and research. We are working to help those who suffer from lung disease today, and to stop the spread of lung disease tomorrow."

The ride will be personal for me.  I have a sister & friends who have asthma and my mom has a lung disease.  My mom has never smoked.  The American Lung Association's mission is to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease.  It's a battle worth fighting for!

My personal goal in helping people is to raise at least $100.00 for this event.   To help me reach my goal as a rider go HERE.   By supporting American Lung Association programs, you help kids with asthma learn how to manage their disease, improve the air quality in the homes of Oregonians and keep Oregon's workplaces smoke free....and that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...