Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WYLTC: Sassy Sanctuary

Hello!  It's Krystal from Sassy Sanctuary here.  I'm so exciting to be visiting Melinda today!  I have so much fun with WYLTC each month and these ladies always inspire!  I totally love Melinda's cute bird house and think its a perfect shelf or table top accessory.  I'm currently in the process of re-doing my kids bathroom, so my brain is there.  I was in need of some wall art, so I wanted to see if I could take Melinda's cute idea and make something that could be hung on the wall.  This is what I came up with.


Fun right?!  I'm super excited about it because it was the perfect solution for an awkward space.  Plus, the bath had yet to develop a theme but this is the perfect jumping off point.  The wheels are turning now!

Anyway, as you can see I took the basic birdhouse design and made it flat so it could be hung on the wall.  The branch was created so that the piece would hang correctly against my new board and batten walls.


And the hanging the pictures from it adds that fun personal touch.

So, here is how I did it.


A.  Gather your supplies.  Everything here was made from scraps except the picture frames and peg.  The frames were on clearance at Micheal's and were the kind that are two frames hinged together.  They ended up only costing $2.50 each.  My frames are 5x5.  Anyway, you want 3 frames, a board cut into the share of a house, some slats to cut the roof and base from, and some ribbon.  I cut the roof the easy way making one side 1/4" larger then the other one so I didn't have to cut any angles.  Drill the hole for the bird door and the peg.  If you want to make a branch too, that was cut from leftover 2x1 trim boards and the leaves from 1/4" plywood. 

B & C.  After you cut all your pieces then paint, sand, and stain. 

D.  I also decided to modge podge some scrapbook paper to the front to add some pattern.  I originally planned on putting a quote on the bottom of the house, but in the end I didn't like the way the text looked with the paper.  But if you want to use a simpler pattern or skip the paper, a vinyl quote would be perfect there.

E.  Then I took the easy road and just hot glued all the pieces together.

F.  Hang the picture frames to the birdhouse by stapling them to ribbon along the back of the frames.  I hung it to the wall by screwing the branch into a stud and then hanging the birdhouse to the branch with a picture hanger.

That's it.  It was really a fun project and all the cuts were super simple.  Love those kind of projects!


I think it's such a fun way to display some photos and I'm super excited with how the bathroom is coming along!  Thanks so much for the inspiration Melinda and for hosting!  I can't wait to see all the bird/ birdhouse decor everyone else comes up with!. 

And just like the original, birds can't actually live in this house either.  hehe



-------------------------------------------------------

Nice work Krystal!!  I love everything from the branch in the back to the pictures of your cute fam below.   Thanks for sharing your creativity with us all!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute idea Krystal! I love the little branch behind the birdhouse, nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...